Friday, July 2, 2010

Los Angeles is a feast...and I might finally be figuring things out

The CENS crew took Wes, our boss, out to a surprise birthday dinner tonight.
We went to a Japanese Curry House, where he was greeted by a card we made, decorated with a pineapple (he's from Hawaii with Japanese heritage) and all of our signatures at his seat, and they even gave him a slice of tofu cheesecake with a candle in it on a special "Happy Birthday" plate as we all sang. I had ground chicken and tofu curry with rice, medium-medium hot and I am proud to say that my hotness threshold is slowly but surely increasing.

For dessert, we went across the plaza to Yogurtland. Once inside, Becca, Natali, Zak, Elizabeth and I all had pretty much the same reaction: "Oh...my...god..."

There is complimentary strawberry water (water with fresh strawberries floating in it) available for your enjoyment as you wait in line to utilize the self-serve frozen yogurt machines. There were at least twenty flavors to choose from, with twists options, and you could have as much as you liked. Then there's the topping bar, where they have everything from fresh fruit to cookie dough to candy to cereal to white chocolate Ghirardelli syrup. You take anything and everything you want, and then pay a mere 30 cents per ounce.

I decided to go with Ghirardelli Chocolate, Chocolate Coconut Truffle, Madagascar Vanilla and Peanut Butter twist, and Cookies and Cream frozen yogurts, topped with cookie dough, yogurt chips, and Oreos.

East coast, please get Yogurtland. There's a yogurtland in Guam for christ's sake, and even Mexico, I think you would be able to swing it.

On a 'Claire's future - this could be important!' note, I'm really starting to think that power engineering might be super fly; the kind that incorporates the economics of the smart grid system and fitting alternative energy sources into the current infrastructure. It's still got the engineering, but also a broader organizational element, and organizing is one thing I thrive on doing (oh and of course sustainability, but do I even have to mention that anymore? It's a given by now that whatever I end up doing has to involve it). Supelec has actually got a pretty neat power engineering curriculum that fits this perfectly. They're even involved in 'Projet €nergy,' which brings together academic and industrial partners to work on these multidisciplinary issues arising in what must be a changing infrastructure as the need for energy and alternative sources increases. So, if Power with JZ goes well this coming semester, I may be well on my way to having not only a 2 year plan, but a 10 year plan! (How exciting! Because basically I was freaking out that I wouldn't know what I want to do with my life, which is really difficult when I have to write a bunch of personal statements for grad school and such talking about just that).

Work is even beginning to look up too. Next week I may even be able to actually begin doing real engineering work and start some Matlab coding instead of just pushing data around. Ouais!

La vie est bon :)

(Mais mes amis de Buffalo me manquez :( Je suis exciter retourner a UB a l'automne :D)




No comments:

Post a Comment