Monday, July 5, 2010

Feeling pretty zen

If you ever find yourself in LA, make a point to go to Joan's on Third for brunch. Today I had their Chocolate French Toast, and it was delicious - no syrup necessary. The sandwiches and sides also looked to die for, not to mention the baked goods and soups.

I was just so very impressed. Not only is it a cafe, but also a market, selling specialty baking and cooking goods and cheeses and wines (there much much French to be read!). And I find it amusing how things get translated into French so that they can seem fancier. Pour example, a grilled chicken sandwich is not served on sandwich bread, but 'pain de mie.' Also, I was seated next to two old men conversing in French, ah the nostalgia...

And yes, this classy joint in Beverly Hills may be higher on the price side, but not any higher than a European cafe, donc c'est pas mal.

After brunch we did a little shopping down the street. I got a skirt (fuschia, with a thick elastic black waist for the high-waisted look, and pockets!) for a mere $2.80 from the Nordstrum Rack, and an extremely comfortable pair of skinny jeans for only $10.00 from Urban Outfitters.

Walking back to my dorm I realized how dehydrated I probably am - I'm feeling pretty light headed and did spend all day at the beach yesterday (it was wonderful), so I'm nursing a bottomless mug of water.

I'm feeling perfectly relaxed and almost completely content (my mission to eat healthy keeps getting interrupted by socialization and these 5-10lbs aren't going to drop themselves) as I sit here contemplating finishing my GRE prep homework, and going for a jog if I stop feeling so lightheaded. Or maybe this is just the essence of complete physical relaxation, or there's too much medical marijuana in the streets of Westwood (okay, so not that, but there are plenty of homeless men!).

Life keeps rolling and it's rolling well. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment