Monday, July 12, 2010

Looking for some ground

My mind is split. In France, in Buffalo, in LA. In the present and the past and contemplations of where I'm going to be or be heading a year from now: the U.S. or Europe? My place of residence has never been so transient before, it's always been Buffalo. And now this year it's 5 months in France, 2 months in LA, then 8 months back in Buffalo before I ship off back to Europe (?).

And even when I get back to Buffalo things are going to be different than they were when I left. It's going to be a new Buffalo life. In times when my heart and mind falter and regret tries to peak its spiny head I need to remind myself that I did the right thing. Stop thinking about the "what ifs" because you can't turn people into your ideal conceptions of them, they are who they are. What's done is done and it's been moving forward. Just keep going.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you mean. Oregon was never the same after I traveled to Japan and overseas for the first time. It is and was and always will be Oregon, but my mind and perspective of the world and people completely changed after traveling overseas. I think the world would be a much better place if everyone was required to experience life outside of where they were born and grew up for a set amount of time. I think human beings would get along better with each other then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I learned over time was that when more than one option appears on my horizon and I have choices to make, it's possible to have all of them, just not at the same time. It may be over time that one goes onto the next option, eventually getting to experience each one, unless our desires change.

    ReplyDelete