Sunday, August 8, 2010

Connections

Today was simply wonderful.

Started off my morning with a "real" omelette (my weekend dining hall assignment differs from my weekday one, which no longer offers custom omelettes but only ham and cheese. This has been a point of aggravation among my peer group. But on the weekends we get to eat in the dining hall that allows omelette fillings of your choice), then had an actual voice conversation with Lala (one of my friends in France) and got to practice a little French with him. Then it was off to my French conversation class at l'Alliance Francaise. Apres, I decided on a whim to get off the bus a few stops early, resulting in my discovery of a shop where everything costs $3.99. They had a bunch of cute T-shirts with phrases obviously chosen by people with no proper grasp of the english language, some 80s vintage clothing, a bunch of cool costume jewelery, belts, etc, AND some imitation converse, in a wide array of colors. Now, I've been desiring such a pair of shoes for quite some time but have been reluctant to shell out the money for a legit pair, so when I saw look-a-likes for only $3.99 I simply had to act. So I got a pair of green low-top converse style shoes and then picked up some light purple laces. I finally now have a pair of fun, colorful shoes that I've been daydreaming of for over 6 months.

But my good day was only beginning at this point!

I got picked up by Bob and Vee, old friends of my parents. Bob and Vee were my mum's good friends from high school and Bob and my Dad were room mates in the seminary. So they took me to their wonderful home in Culver city, where I re-met their two sons Nick and Andrew (I hadn't seen them in over ten years), and gave me lunch and really good coffee. We sat out in the backyard for a while and then we moved into the kitchen and continued to visit as dinner was prepared and I had some Chardonnay and some of Bob's home made peanut butter cookies. Then it was dinner time, which was delicious and complete with fresh cut roses from the backyard and candle light. After dinner there was more coffee to be had and cookies and ice cream to be eaten. Even more, Bob asked "Claire, do you like classical music?" to which I replied "yes" and then he asked "Do you like Chopin?" Ah, how Chopin is my favorite!! So we spent the after dinner evening listening to an album of Chopin waltzes and then an album of nocturnes, having wonderful conversation, until finally it was approaching midnight and they had to get me home before we all started falling asleep.

It was a wonderful day! The Scotts are wonderful people and I'm really glad I got to visit them while I was out here. I must come back and visit them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment